Any person born on or after January 1, 1999, who wishes to rent and operate a motorboat or PWC for recreational boating purposes, and that vessel is propelled by a machine capable of producing more than 25 horsepower on the inland waters or territorial waters of Maine, must:

– Be 12 years of age or older (16 years old for PWCs) AND
– Possess a Boaters Safety Card (also generally referred to as a Lifetime Boating License)

If the boater meets the age requirement but does not possess a Boater Safety Card, they must take a Boaters Test to obtain a Maine Temporary Boating Certificate (which is valid for 14 days after completing the test).

Maine Temporary Boating Certificate Testing